Saturday, April 09, 2005

The Distant Past (II)

During a gathering, someone mentioned Johann Pachelbel’s Canon in D. It is one of my favorites. The first time I heard it was on a cassette format. The first time ever, I asked A to make me a copy of the Laputa (The Castle in the Sky) theme songs by Joe Hisaishi. I did not ask for Canon in D. It was the space filler on the tape.

At first, I did not pay too much attention to the filler. Since I loved Laputa, I played the tape over and over again while studying. Canon in D thus stayed in my head. It was in fact a very calming piece. Back then, I did not know Canon in D was this popular. As time passed, after I have been to a few weddings, I realized that Canon in D was a popular wedding song. Personally, I think it is far better than the Wedding March.

After this filler piece, I did not mind listening to the tapes that A made for me because I began to trust his taste in music. In terms of making tapes, he was rather stern. I once lost the Godfather tape. Not only there were the Godfather theme songs, but there were also other beautiful songs. He refused to make me another copy no matter how much I liked it, and how often I nagged him.

No comments: